The historic Durant-Dort Carriage Co. “Factory One” building in Flint, Michigan, is considered by many to be the birthplace of General Motors. GM has recently announced that it will invest millions into renovating the historic building, transforming it into a GM archive and research center.
Originally part of the Flint Cotton & Woolen Mills company, the building was later rented by William Crapo Durant and Josiah Dallas Dort. At this time, the two were running the Flint Road Cart Company, but Durant later took over Buick Motor Co, and shortly after, GM was founded in 1908.
GM purchased the Durant-Dort Factory One building in 2013, and has since spent $3 million on exterior repairs, new windows, and doors, and new fencing. GM plans to relocate an automotive collection from nearby Kettering University to the first floor of the building’s east wing. The second floor will be reserved for GM meeting areas, which can also be used for community and educational groups’ classes, meetings, and research.
“Factory One truly is the epicenter of the automotive industry and, as such, it makes sense to create a world-class archive where anybody can learn how carriage builders in Flint launched the global auto industry,” Mark Reuss, GM’s head of global product development, purchasing and supply chain operations, said in a statement.
Here at Linus Buick Cadillac GMC, we are thrilled that GM is creating a space where the history of the brand will live on. We look forward to seeing how the historic building will transform in the coming years!